Sunday 19 February 2012

Prayer Pillows

As a mother of young children, I am usually thrust headlong into my day with something urgent to take care of - a hungry baby, children to get off to school - you know, the usual.  Sometimes I'd make it halfway through my day before I realized I hadn't prayed yet.  I needed a reminder!  A sticky note on the mirror looked tacky and I was afraid that a prayer rock could be used as a weapon by one of my sweet children.


So, I decided to make some prayer pillows:


A friend of mine used her fancy machine to do the emboidery for me, but the writing could be done in other ways like crosstitch or iron-on fabric decals, etc.




I chose a size that would look good on my bed and be big enough to kneel on.



When I kneel on my pillow, I flip it over to the soft, fuzzy side so I don't put too much stress on the embroidery.


I wanted to make some of these for my sisters for Christmas, but finding fabric to match other people's bedrooms can be tricky.  So when they send me fabric, I will make one for them.  When I make them for my children, I might do a patchwork or log-cabin style, with smaller writing.  When I make more, I'll post pictures of them.


This is the poem I wrote to go along with the pillows: 


Did you finish your day
            And forgot to pray?
Here’s a gentle reminder
            That’s softer and kinder
Than a knock on the head
            As you lay down for bed
From an old prayer rock.

It works the same way
            Start and finish your day
With this soft, cozy cue
            Prompting you what to do.
So, now, if you please,
            Simply get on your knees
And start the day right.


In case this wasn't a good enough reminder, I asked my sister to make me a wall hanging.  You can see her many other crafts at http://www.yearningtocreate.blogspot.com/.  This is what she came up with for me:




I love it!  Now, when I walk into my room, I will remember to pray because this is what I see:



1 comment:

  1. How precious! I love the pillows! Great idea!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete